Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A REAL Rest Week

For many years, a day off or rest week has been filled with doing other stuff that's pushed aside while training my fool ass off for this bicycling addiction I have. Cleaning, cooking, and the big one that consumes the majority of my time in spring, summer, and fall - gardening - fills my idle time. But this year? No way. I've finally learned how to ignore it all and just sit back and relax. I got my confirmation this weekend that it's ok to relax and do nothing from the movie, Eat. Pray. Love. In one part of the movie, Julia Roberts is in Italy and she gets an "education" on the sweetness of doing nothing, a.k.a. dol·ce far nien·te   [dawl-che fahr nyen-te] which means pleasing inactivity; literally, (it is) sweet to do nothing. Last night while the president was telling the world it was ok for the US to bomb Libya, I laid in bed with not one, two, but all three of my cats and two glasses of wine. I tried to read but ended up just looking at words. The sweetness of nothing was more attractive. And it was the best. There's something to be said for the sweetness of doing nothing.

No comments: