I signed up for the Hyner View Trail Challenge, a 25K trail run in the beautiful PA Wilds next April 16, 2011. I'm one of these people that needs to have something on the calendar to work towards to keep the energy flowing. Otherwise, I'd be a couch potato in short order. Here's a beautiful topo of the course. Running fits my schedule. Now that I moved to a different job, I can take lunch again and that 1 hour a day, 5 days a week, can give me some good run time; although I won't run everyday -- it'll be a run, walk, run, walk, run week. Or walk, run, walk, run, walk. All in all, I never run back to back days -- the body needs to heal!
Saturday, September 25, 2010
We were wishing we had pics 'cause it was a doozy like years past. Not as hard as some years, but long. So minus the pics, you'll have to settle for words. And rather than a lengthy report, how about some bullets this time?!
- Time: 5 hours and 36 minutes
- Place: 2nd Female Masters (there were only three teams this year)
- Time on Bus (yes bus!): 45 minutes
- We ran to start
- But only ran to the buses on the other side of the Island
- Buses went to Blue Mtn Parkway and dumped us on the top of the mountain.
- Ran trail for 6 miles to Fort Hunter.
- Ran DOWN Robert's Valley Road - Quads are aching today.
- Launched canoe for a 6-mile paddle to City Island (low water and wind!)
- Got on bikes and rode the Harrisburg Green belt for 20 miles total
- Special tests included kicking a shoe in a bucket (all three had to make it); throwing a tire on a tall cone; running through eggs blindfolded (Steph nailed it!), sling-shot and ball (had to catch a ball - HARD!) We teamed up again with another team. Donna and I had the sling down to a science - Steph and the other team caught the balls.
- More Special tests: swinging from a rope to a wooden platform; but had to figure how to get the rope 6 feet away from us (bungie cord with a helmet attached to it to lynch the rope); cut a 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper in a single piece big enough for one of our team mates to climb through (without tearing it).
- Awesome team yet again - Steph and me and Donna have a blast. Steph had her beautiful pink balls on. I wish I had a pic. Our team had balls!
- I hurt all over today (sunday).
Friday, September 3, 2010
Life is full of hic-cups, ain't it? Chili is trying to get back on track now that family issues are causing the road to detour, but she'll eventually figure it all out. There's rumor she might be changing jobs at work too now that her politcally-appointed boss headed back to Philadelphia. ARGH! The new job will be a fun challenge though - very rewarding. For now, the biking/running/kayaking/adventure fun is minimal, but with the BASH coming up, how can she NOT get a little excited about mountain biking? Especially, when fine folks like Sir Bikes a-Lot make videos of the Rattling Creek Trails. This is the funniest website. It's bikers are from North Carolina and my favorites are Sir Toots a-Lot and Sir Bio-hazard. Sir Toots a-lot can break wind on command. Ha! Oh-so-typical mountainbiker fun stuff. LOVE mountainbikers. I wonder if these guys ride singlespeed?!