Friday, August 29, 2008
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Friday, August 8, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008
- Mountain bike - cross country
- Mountain bike - endurance -individual
- Mountain bike - endurance Team (12 and 24 hours races)
- Triathlon - road - sprint or olympic distance
- Off road triathlon - sprint or olympic distance
- Running -5K
- Running - 10K
- Trail running - 5K
- Trail running - 10K
- Ironcross (it simply ain't nothing like a "real" cyclocross race so it gets its own category)
- Adventure Racing - all lengths
- Adventure Tris (i.e. Chili Challenge)
- Off road Duathlon
It was kinda of easy to pick a favorite within all the above categories, but the goal is ONE favorite. So...onward to the analysis. Here are the other factors to consider:
- Training - how long, how hard, availability of training needs (i.e., access to a swimming pool). What does the training do for my physique?
- Team vs Individual race
- The Fun Factor
- Road vs off-road
- Appropriate Age Groups - I really hate racing out of my age group. I'll settle for MASTER women if that's all I can get.
- Travel time to races
Ok...all factors are laid on the table. Elimination time:
- Xterra and triathlon races were first to go - (WHAT?!) - they are far, expensive (sometimes needing an overnight stay) , my swimming sucks, and the pool is not always accessible.
- XC Mountain bike next to go. I just always sucked at it!
- Endurance Mtn Bike and Ironcross - no age group breaks for women! (although the Wilderness 101 has a MASTER women of over 50 which is enticing).
- Running and duathlons were eliminated - I'm not a runner! and I pee my pants too much.
- Road tris and races were eliminted - my preference is off-road
- Cyclocross was eliminated - it just hurts too much.
So what did that leave? Adventure Racing! It's looking like the winner will be the CAP CITY ADVENTURE CHALLENGE. Its close to home, has all three sports I love, is team-oriented which are FUN, has a MASTER women division, and training in all three sports is not boring at all.
And the runner up was the Chili Challenge. It got second because its an individual race and the bike section is on road.
So there you have it - my favorite is the Cap City Adventure Challenge.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Here's an article on the effects of exericse on muscles and bones as we age. And this article talks about how aging doesn't slow us down, lack of using our muscles and exercise does. My dear old dad is living proof of all of this. His job his entire life has been training, driving, and caring for standardbred race horses. His daily work routine involves being active -- using his muscles. He's now 78, and claims his job kept him healthy all these years. He uses his muscles everyday and he's not slowed up at all yet. He's my inspiration.