Thursday, March 24, 2011

Brrrrrrrrr Rrrrrride




Tonight was a 2.5 hr trail ride on the home turf -- Weiser state forest in good 'ole Halifax, PA. Actually, the west end is in rural Halifax/Carsonville and the East end is more towards Lykens. It was coldish at the bottom of the mountain -- 36 degrees when we arrived. Rick dumped me and headed to the YMCA to check out the cute young, spunky girls on the treadmill while I was riding. The snowmobile parking lot was the starting point which means -- you guessed it -- the climb. Always the climb -- what else is there when you are training for the Trans-Sylvania Epic? We were to do intervals tonight too: 8 x 2 minutes at 85%. Well, that turned into 2 x 30 minutes at 85-95% with the Deep Hollow climb (yes I did it twice to get the time in 'cause I didn't want to do singletrack because Rick was worried about me riding by myself on singletrack -- he's a naggy mother sometimes.) Half way up the climb I was thinking, "huh... there's a little snow here." Three-quarters of the way up the mountain the snow got a little heavier. By the time I got to the top, it was a winter wonderland and the trees were chattering with ice cover. It was beautiful! But cold - definitely below 32 with all the ice on everything. I wish these pictures would have turned out better but I think you get the idea. It was a good climbing ride. Average HR 137 with 1,484 calories burned. Once again, a perfect endurance HR. Rick had to remind not to ruin the good training ride by eating garbage. So supper was millet, broccoli, and wholegrain sunflower/flaxseed toast with almond butter.

No comments: