Monday, June 1, 2009

Riding the Mountain Version of the Tour de Cure

Thanks to Donna and Brett Weiser – the lead proponents of a “mountain” version of the Tour de Cure – the first mountain bike ride to benefit Diabetes was held on Sunday, May 31, 2009. Some folks would argue, what is the value of a benefit ride? Why do I have to pay? Why is it so much??? I suppose you’d have to have the disease hit home to truly appreciate and understand the real meaning of supporting a cause. I have, and I did, and am glad I rode. Last evening, when my mom asked where I was, I proudly said, “riding my bike for you mom…” And she smiled – she seemed to have cheered up almost instantly. The ride was spectacular. It was in Michaux state forest, starting at the Big Flat ATV parking lot – a popular starting point for mountain bike riding and of course the ATV guys. The 16-mile course was oh-so-sweet – rocks, roots, twisty turns, a little muck, a little climbing, a grand view of the reservoir, and a bright sunny day. My Ricky was going to ride separately with a friend of his who became ill and never showed up. Luckily, our group was going slow enough that he could catch up. The majority of the group (Mountain Bikers of Michaux who know the trails inside out and back again), zoomed through the course due to some of the members needing to get somewhere else by a certain time; but Donna, myself, Rick, and Stephanie casually enjoyed the ride. Thanks to all who organized – especially Donna and Brett! It wouldn’t have happened without you two.

No comments: