Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Other Weekly Fix



About twice a week, I get on the Susquehanna River near Harrisburg with hubby and friends to experience the thrill of whitewater kayaking. Actually, there's not much thrill in the Susquehanna, but the twice a week thang is a great skill-building session. The Dauphin Narrows have all the features of a good river run-- rocks, eddies, waves, swirly thingys, and sometimes a hole or two to side-surf on. After all, the Susquehanna IS a river the last I checked. No, I'm not side-surfing yet, but the other parts are great practice. We usually get in at either the Narrows, or today, at the Rockville bridge 'cause the river level is a tad high for the narrows (optimum is between 3.5 and 4 feet) and the workout begins by attaining up to the rocks. Then, we ferry and surf our way across the river to the other side, and back again - about a two hour session. All the while, practicing those essential WW skills of surfing, ferrying, eddying in and out and getting a "feel" for the water. Is it a workout? My arms are mush 'til I'm done if I really work it. Some days I don't feel like it, and sit in eddies while Rick plays - those aren't worthwhile workouts. I like to float into a wave backwards -- Rick is big on eddying in and out. Rick's been trying to teach me the "proper" way to paddle with appropriately named paddle strokes, etc., but nooooooo, I just wanna paddle and do what I need to Git r Dun. So he gave up on the proper strokes and I'm happy, he's happy. Rick is much, much more obsessed with the sport than I - he'd go every day if he could. I'm balancing it, biking, and gardening -- a pleasant mix of activities.

No comments: