Saturday, April 24, 2010

One Week to the Tough Mudder - Pre-Race Training Wrap-up


Yesterday was the last long run/endurance session prior to the Tough Mudder. It was 8.50 miles at an 11:33 mile pace up and over an 800 foot elevation, just like last week. I opted not to run the rocky singletrack this time for fear of injury prior to the race. The snowmobile trail was perfect. The original planned route was 6.6 miles and I wasn't feeling like that was enough so the altered route ended up being 8 1/2 miles. The 800 feet ascend is always the worse, but today the muscles aren't hurting near as much as last week's ascend. I guess the old bod is already adjusting. I immediately hopped on my mountain bike afterwards and started climbing that same 800 foot elevation. It was SO much harder on the bike! I'm blaming the pain on the lack of saddle time in the past two weeks -- I think I totalled about 1 hour on the bike! (ouch). The final endurance tally for the day was 3 hours. Another perfect session in prep for the mudder at an average HR of 142 for the session. Today I'm paddling to take stress off the legs, and tomorrow I'm practicing being a couch potato. Monday is an ez run for 4-5 miles, as is Thursday although Thursday I might throw in a sprint or two and a hill or two. On a pace note, I've been checking finish times of longer trail runs of other gals my age and I'm pleased to see I'll be competitive. (And here I thought I was as slow as molasses. Ha!

2 comments:

DailySAHM said...

You are definitely going to be ready for the Tough Mudder! My training this past week has sucked big time. My ankle is still giving me problems. I go to the chiropractor Monday... I think the ankle issue is related to my sciatica and tight hamstring and calf.

Chili said...

Man oh Man... I hope its nothing serious that you can't race -- that would suck big time. I'm crossing my fingers, toes, and anything else that's crossable!