Thursday, April 9, 2009

Homemade and Natural Energy Gel

I found this recipe a year or more ago and have loved it ever since -- even more so now that I'm more "aware" of local and sustainable food consumption (and less processed foods). It's got all the good stuff you need to go the distance -- carbs (in the honey), calcium (molasses), protein (soy), magnesium (molasses), potassium (molasses), and sodium (salt). And here's my original post on it. I use non-GMO soy protein. Yes, its processed! But until the glorious day I can grow my own soybeans, dry them, and grind them into flour, I gotta use the processed stuff.

Enjoy!

Gel with Protein - fills one 4 oz gel Flask
6 Tablespoons honey
5/8 teaspoon blackstrap molasses (I LUV this stuff and have been eating it for years. Its full of calcium, potassium, carbs and iron -- two tablespoons a day right out of the jar will cure all that ails you).
6 3/8 teaspoons soy protein
1/16 teaspoon salt
1-3 Tablespoons water (to get it to the consistency you like).

Gel without Protein
7 1/3 tablespoons honey
3/4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
1/10 teaspoon salt

No comments: