W.O.W. And the author of the book is the same guy that guided Rick to a 40 pound weightloss 7 years ago... and me to vegetarianism -- Dr. Dean Ornish. I believe, just possibly, HE may have the healthiest diet. Why? He calls it a lifestyle change and its SO recognized after 30 years of proven research and studies, that several insurance companies including Medicare, pay for the plan as part of preventative medicine because the plan is saving the insurance companies millions of dollars. His plan is proven to reverse heart disease, lower cholestrol, lower high blood pressure, reserve type 2 diabetes, and prevent and treat prostate cancer and breast cancer. By practicing his preventative measures, there's less hospitalizations, thus huge savings all around. I'm sold -- again. And I think I can adapt this to local foods too -- or at least buy from a local store that sells organics made in USA. The diet stresses exercise, meditation/yoga, and below is what you can/can't eat. He doesn't restrict calories -- eat from the first list until you feel full.
The following can be eaten whenever you are hungry, until you are full:
- Beans and legumes
- Fruits -all
These should be eaten in moderation:
- Nonfat dairy products -- skim milk, nonfat yogurt, nonfat cheeses, nonfat sour cream, and egg whites
- Nonfat or very low-fat commercially available products
These should be avoided:
- Meat of all kinds -- red and white, fish and fowl (if we can't give up meat, we should at least eat as little as possible) . Ornish's latest book, the Spectrum, allows fish 2 times a week.
- Oils and oil-containing products, such as margarine and most salad dressings
- Nuts and Seeds
- Dairy products (other than the nonfat ones above)
- Sugar and simple sugar derivatives -- honey, molasses, corn syrup, and high-fructose syrup
- Anything commercially prepared that has more than two grams of fat per serving
Note - very low fat; and that's where critics balk at Ornish. Most feel 10% fat is too low. But remember, Ornish is reversing and preventing diseases and this is what works.