Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 2 of the "Cleanse"

You guys don't know how good you really have it.... no periods, no childbirth, no PMS, no menopause, no girlie things. Bastards. Oops... that's right, most of you have to put up with us! Maybe you don't have it THAT good after all. (teehee) Thank god I'm just about to finish up all the girlie things and actually live life "free" of it all...Oh but this last step is a monster. Experts claim 75% of all menopausal women experience weight gain and body "shifting" and yes sirree, I'm in that majority. It's not been much (9 pounds!), but it's enough that half my clothes don't fit and I can feel the extra pounds on the bike. For most women, the gain is in the belly area. You've been reading my posts about increasing my exercise, trying FORZE (which doesn't really suppress your appetite like its supposed to but DOES increase my activity level which is fine by me). One of the suggestions I read was focusing on a low-glycemic diet that included soy protein which combats menopausal symptoms. That same book suggested a product that cleanses your system for 5 days and guaratees a 5 pound weight loss - a product called USANA Reset. Most reviews I read were positive and successful -- some as high as 9 pounds in 5 days. I almost fell for it, until I read the nutrition content of the product and it's basically a low-calorie, low-glycemic diet for 5 days using shakes and bars. So rather than drop $90 bucks on a 5-day supply of food, I thought why not try it on my own? Why not focus on low-glycemic foods and keep it at or under 1200 calories for 5 days and see what happens? It's ONLY 5 days. Yes, 1200 is extremely low, but its only 5 days then I'm back up by Saturday (in time for the Trail run on Sunday). Low-glycemic eating isn't anything new. The South Beach Diet which is SO popular and many folks lost a ton of weight on it is basically low-glycemic. So today is day 2. Day one was a piece of cake and I'll just bet the next 4 days will be the same. I found these low-glycemic meal replacement bars at GNC called One Square Meal that made me feel full for hours with absolutely no food cravings. I only eat half the recommended "meal" (too high in calories) and felt great. I really, really, look forward to the day that I don't think about food and weight every waking hour. And that day is coming!

No comments: